In an exclusive interview, Lisa Haas, wife of Bella’s cake creator, Thomas, fills in readers about how Bella’s birthday cake came to life. The cake is a main feature, aside from Jasper, in the pivotal birthday party scene. Alice covers every last party detail, despite the fact that Bella is the only one who would partake in eating cake.
Blissfully unaware of the Twilight Saga, Haas was approached to concoct the confection after the set designer’s creation didn’t turn out as expected. Though he doesn’t know the significance to the green color palette (the cake was pink in the book), he was able to replicate the design perfectly in one day.
In Style Magazine asked Lisa for step by step instructions on recreating the cake:
1. Cover each cake tier with a “mask” of white fondant [a thick, malleable icing]. Stack tiers from largest to smallest.
2. Separate one package of fondant into 5 batches. Use food coloring to tint each batch a different shade of green.
3. Roll each batch of fondant into a thin sheet and cut into strips of varying width.
4. Attach the strips around each tier using stiff royal icing as glue.
5. Place red, yellow and green Gerbera daisies around the bottom of each tier.
The cake used in the movie is a show cake, meaning the inside is not an edible substance, but the outside is comprised of the sugared fondant. Haas says that, were it an actual cake, it would feed 50 to 55 people.
New Moon is not the first production to request the professional touch of Thomas Haas. He’s also made confections for License to Wed with Robin Williams and The L Word with Jennifer Beals. “We’ve also done chocolate showpieces and cakes for Stargate’s 100th episode and Stargate Atlantis,” says Haas.
Thomas Haas Chocolates has a plethora of accolades. In fact, Thomas Haas was named one of the top ten pastry chefs in the country by his peers. But the award that they deem most important is the service excellence award provided by their local chamber of commerce. Lisa says, “We really care about good service being provided to our customers by our staff and this award helps us know we are on the right path.”