1. So, first of all,what led you to set eXcessica up in the first place?
The truth? I wanted a market for my more explicit work. I knew it would sell well (and it does!) but the traditional epubs out there didn’t take submissions with things like nonconsent and incest. So eXcessica was born. And it began to grow. And grow. And GROW!
2What are eXcessica’s aims?
To publish work that pushes the envelope and to give authors as much of their profits as I possibly can while balancing keeping the business alive.
3What do you do that other people don’t?
We publish everything, from the sweet to the taboo – and lots of epubs out there won’t touch the “taboo” stuff. But we will. that’s where the name EXCESSica came from – we like EXCESS! We also like experimental fiction, and we accept shorter fiction than most epubs as well.
4What is your response to people who might suggest that what you print is thoroughly immoral?
Bwahhahahaha! Oh, sorry… that was a serious question? My response would be “Do you think so? Please, feel free to pray for me.” That’s about as much time as I’d spend on that one…
5What’s your personal background?
I have a bachelor’s degree in English and a Masters in psychology. I have no business background, so running eXcessica has required a learn a whole new and interesting skill set, but I think I’ve met the challenge pretty well.
6What are you looking for from would-be writers?
I’m looking, always and primarily, for a good story. Beyond that – I’m looking for good writers. That means that you’ve had feedback from someone besides your spouse or your mother that you write well. Hopefully, at some point, you’ve run into a Simon Cowell in the writing world and have passed the test. Please don’t make me go all Simon Cowell on you. That also means, you write with an attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation – in fact, you know the rules so well, you can break them when you need and/or want to.
7What’s your ideal read – which authors/books do you absolutely love?
I’m a horror fan – specifically Stephen King, and now his son, Joe Hill. But I read lots of other things as well. A lot of non-fiction, some popular stuff (yes, I read “Twilight” – my teens were into it so I decided to check it out) including Jodi Picoult and the Harry Potter series. I’m reading The Lightning Thief series with my littles now.
8Tell us some random and quirky things about the company and its owner!
* eXcessica has almost 400 books available for sale in ebook form, and over 100 of those are also available in print.
* We offer FREE reads in our Yahoo Group (which now has almost 300o members and counting!)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eXcessica/files/eXcessica%20gratis/
* eXcessica has a unique way of defraying our business costs and allowing authors to keep more of their profits – we put out four anthologies per year, and our authors donate their stories to these collections, so we can use the proceeds to pay for business expenses.
You can check out our author anthologies here - http://excessica.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=e9be1a4369e1afe02f6cff2fb228f229
* eXcessica has a great blog, where many of our writers post about all kinds of topics, from writing and new releases to sex and relationships – http://excessica.com/blog/