(That is not me in the video)
While I was in NYC for the New Moon premiere (more on that later) bracing myself for the level of “enthusiasm” that Brits just don’t usually achieve, it seems that London was showing the world just how the Twi-hards do it!
For the UK premiere of the long awaited second installment in the Twilight saga, crowds gathered at Leicester Square – uber advanced purchased tickets in hand – to finally see the midnight screenings.
Many of my Twilighter friends waited in the Forks-esque rain with Cullen crests donned and sparkled with excitement as the seconds until Edward slow mo’s across Forks High School parking lot and Jacob worked that tight-fitting tee!
Raising funds for Alex’s Lemonade Stand charity fighting childhood cancer, the screening got off to a late start… because Peter Facnielli (Carlisle Cullen) and Kellan Lutz (Emmett Cullen) surprised us with a visit.
Now, I’d always appreciated “PFach” and “The Lutz” as good looking guys – but them’s some sparkly humans – smiles and muscles and dimples, oh my!
However, they weren’t only there to bask in our squeals of delight but auction dinners with them for Alex’s Lemonade. Despite our best bloggy-fund-raising efforts (at $3400 which we donated to The Fandom Gives Back) we were out-bid at $4700 and $3800 a piece – those were some hungry Twi-Moms!
Finally, I got to see the movie… as for my thoughts on New Moon?
Well, I think I was going to be thrilled either way – it’s my favourite in the book series and I just couldn’t wait to see all that heart-ache on the shiny-silver screen (<— see what I did there?). However, I will be honest and admit that it was missing a certain… dazzle.
Breaking it down, OCD (obsessive Cullen disorder) style *spoiler alert* here’s my best and worst bits:
1) By far Victoria’s sequence: the music, the hair, the effects – Rachelle LeFevre is one fierce red-head!
2) The humans: oh Charlie, Mike, Jessica and Eric – you make me smile I love how more meaty you are (pun intended).
3) Edward’s slow mo’ across the parking lot: totally unnecessary and totally dreamy – even trying to reign in your inner-fan-girl, there’s no resisting such swoontasticness. He even out shines the (not-so-silver) blatant product placement in the background… almost!
4) The meadow: Lord love you, Chris Weitz – this is why you’re the WeitzMeister! The new meadow “flash-backs” are brimming with wild-flowers, sparkles and swelling-music – gorgeous!
5) The ending: Jacob brought me to tears only for Edward to make me actually “squeee” – fanTAStic last scene!!!
1) Alice’s “vision”: It could’ve been epic with the vamp Bella flash but was so very cheesy thanks to slow motion prancing through the woods – WTH?!
2) Pacing… or lack there-of: the first 20 minutes are all with “Edward, what would I do without you?” and then the “Jacob, you’re my BFF!” is stretched over another hour? *KStew eye-roll*
3) Alice’s wardrobe: from some of the promotional stills, I’d hoped her outfits had cause behind the co-ordination… alas, no. Random smocks and unnecessary scarves? Alice would not approve!
4) The weather: Bella still lives in Forks, right? Where’s all the rain?! It was gray and drizzly 99% of the time in Twilight but it only rains in New Moon twice, as far as I recall – when the Cullens don’t turn up to school and then when Bella confronts Jacob. Don’t movies reflect the protagonists mood with such things? There’s not much story-line for sunshine and rainbows!
5) Jacob: damn you, Taylor Lautner – stop making me doubt my Team Edward allegiance with your buff biceps, charming smile and designer jorts – grrr!
Comments make Jacob flex – you know you wanna